May 13, 2011

El árbol de la vida


Although I maintain that felt can be worn year-round, I wanted to expand my sewing into something a little more appropriate for the hot weather—so I started embroidering on light cotton fabrics!  But what to do with said designs?

A few year summers ago, I decided to decorate my plain brown cardboard Moleskine® notebook (I may have a minor addiction to notebooks… and to decorating practically everything I own) with a pink and green paisley fabric.  It was a hit, so I decided to combine my two loves again.

A bright orange Tree of Life is sewn onto a floral brown fabric.  This limited edition fabric comes from the Victoria and Albert museum (London) gift shop (another addiction of mine: museum gift shops).  They had a beautiful exhibit of quilts going back to the 19th century and I was delighted that they were selling textiles inspired by the show!

The fabric is sewn directly onto the cardboard notebook.  I love Moleskine® notebooks for their sturdiness, light-weight and pocket folder.  The notebook used here is 13 x 21 cm and unlined (for both writing and drawing of course).  I am also currently working with initials embroidered and sewn onto the pocket size notebooks… so check back soon for fotos!

Available for purchase through my Etsy page.


Front view
Close up.  You can see the fabric is sewn right onto the notebook cover!
Closer up... this was a particularly labor intensive project
Back cover






No comments: